History of Banff

Banff's history is connected to the expansion of railways across Canada. Here's a brief historical overview of the area:

1883
The railway passes through the Banff area and reaches Laggan Station (Lake Louise). Three railway workers, Frank McCabe, Tom McCardell, and William McCardell, stake claim to the natural hot springs on the side of Sulphur Mountain.

1884
Lord Steven, a former CPR director, christens the area "Banff" after his birthplace, Banffshire, Scotland.

1885
The federal government sets aside a 26 kmē reserve surrounding the hot springs discovered two years earlier. Two years later, that area is increased to 670 sq. km. The Canadian Pacific Railway Company and the federal government cooperate in promoting the area as an international resort and spa as a way to support the new railway and ease the financial pressures on Confederation.

1888
The Canadian Pacific Railway Company builds the area's first large tourist accommodation, The Banff Springs Hotel.

1911
Automobile access to Banff is made possible by the construction of the Banff/Calgary Coach Road.

1917
The park's area is increased to 7 125 kmē. The Canadian government passes the first National Parks Act.

1930
Rocky Mountains Park is renamed Banff National Park and its size becomes fixed at 6641 kmē.

1933
The Banff Centre for Continuing Education is founded.

1985
Banff, Jasper, Yoho and Kootenay National Parks along with four adjacent provincial parks are declared a World Heritage Site by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

1990
Through a joint agreement between the local citizens and the federal and provincial governments, the town of Banff becomes the only incorporated municipality within a Canadian national park.

Banff Features

Search for     
All  Photos  Forum  Maps 






Please Wait ...


Wait...

Saving Changes