History of Winnipeg

Before the arrival of the European explorers and fur traders, the area around Winnipeg was shared between the Assiniboine and Cree First Nations. Winnipeg , named after the Cree word for "muddy waters" became the centre of commercial fur trade rivalry between the North West Company and the Hudson 's Bay Company during the early 19 th century.

Lord Selkirk of Scotland led Scottish and Irish immigrants to the area where Fort Garry was built and the first permanent settlement by the Europeans was formed in early 1812. By the latter half of the 19 th century, Louis Riel lead the native Métis to the city in protest over their standards of living imposed upon them by the colonists.

Winnipeg was connected to the rest of Canada by railway in 1881 which resulted in the rapid growth of the town.

During the 1970s and 1980s, Winnipeg underwent considerable redevelopment and improvements. The provincial capital is now known for its classic mid-western style of architecture which can be found surrounded by old and modern buildings giving it a reputation for the Chicago of Canada.

Winnipeg Features

Search for     
All  Photos  Forum  Maps 






Please Wait ...


Wait...

Saving Changes