From unique to UNESCO
The national parks across Canada and hundreds of provincial parks provide a unique experience which can be enjoyed year round. The national and provincial parks preserve the natural areas of Canada and provide protection to the wildlife, plant life and unique landscape.
Cabot Tower, Signal Hill In many parks you can rent canoes, row boats, tents, or bicycles. Some parks charge for entry however many are free or can be accessed by a permit.
Over 850 national historic sites can be visited across Canada. Open during the day only and sometimes closed in the winter, the sites preserve artefacts, buildings and other items precious to Canada’s history.
Canada is also home to many world heritage sites and 11 biosphere reserves.
Parks Canada is the Canadian federal government agency responsible for the national parks, conservation areas and historic sites. Parks Canada centres are a valuable source for advice and information to visitors.
National Parks of Canada
Canada’s National Parks attract visitors from around the world throughout the year. Each Park is truly unique in its representation of Canada’s natural environment, geography and wildlife.
The National Parks system was created to protect outstanding representative examples of the natural geography that can be found in Canada. The parks are located in each province and territory and vary greatly in size and landscape. The parks also protect wildlife, their habitat and the precious ecosystem which sustains us all.
Parks Canada is responsible for protecting the ecosystem and providing services to the many visitors which come to enjoy Canada’s true great outdoors.
- Aulavik National Park, Sachs Harbour, Northwest Territories
- Auyuittuq National Park, Pangnirtung, Nunavut
- Banff National Park, Banff, Alberta
- Bruce Peninsula National Park, Tobermory, Ontario
- Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Ingonish Beach, Nova Scotia
- Elk Island National Park, R.R.#1, Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta
- Forillan National Park, 122 Gaspé Boulevard, Gaspé, Quebec
- Fundy National Park, Alma, New Brunswick
- Georgian Bay Islands National Park, 911 Wye Valley Rd, Midland, Ontario
- Glacier National Park, Revelstoke, British Columbia
- Grasslands National Park, Val Marie, Saskatchewan
- Gros Morne National Park, Rocky Harbour, Newfoundland & Labrador
- Gulf Islands National Park Reserve, Gulf Islands, British Columbia
- Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve, Queen Charlotte, British Columbia
- Ivvavik National Park, , Yukon Territory
- Jasper National Park, Jasper, Alberta
- Kejimkujik National Park, Annapolis County, Nova Scotia
- Kluane National Park Reserve, Yukon Territory
Kootenay National Park, Radium Hot Springs, British Columbia
- Kouchibougluac National Park, null, New Brunswick
- La Mauricie National Park, Shawinigan, Quebec
- Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve, Havre-Saint-Pierre, Quebec
- Mount Revelstoke National Park, Revelstoke, British Columbia
- Nahanni National Park Reserve, Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories
- Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, Ucluelet, British Columbia
- Point Peele National Park, Leamington, Ontario
- Prince Albert National Park, Waskesiu Lake, Quebec
- Prince Edward Island National Park, Cavendish, Prince Edward Island
- Pukaskwa National Park, Heron Bay, Northwest Territories
- Quttinirpaaq National Park, Nunavut
- Riding Mountain National Park, Wasagaming, Manitoba
- Sirmilik National Park, Pond Inlet, Nunavut
- St. Lawrence Islands National Park, Mallorytown, Ontario
- Terra Nova National Park, Glovertown, Newfoundland & Labrador
- Torngat Mountains National Park, Newfoundland & Labrador
- Tuktut Nogait National Park, Paulatuk, Alberta
- Ukkusiksalik National Park, Nunavut
- Vuntut National Park, Old Crow, Yukon Territory
- Wapusk National Park, Churchill, Manitoba
- Waterton Lakes National Park, Waterton Park, Alberta
- Wood Buffalo National Park, Fort Smith, Northwest Territories
- Yoho National Park, Field, British Columbia